From:
Date:
Wed, 10 May 1995 11:55:55 EDT
3 messages, including last place on earth.--------------Johnnie

    :    Tue, 09 May 95 12:38 PDT
    :    "Virginia R. Hetrick"                       <[log in to unmask]>
       : Re: Place Name Mystery

Shonuff.....

It's in Nevada.  If you drive from LA to Las Vegas on I-15 shortly
after you cross the stateline, there's a big green sign for the
next offramp.  Pahrump is also nearby. I've sort of always thought
of the two places as having to be some kind of home of computer
nerds since one of the first computer games (Adventure) has various
permutations of xyzzy as the magic incantation......  ;-)

Where do I pick up the gold stars?   ;-)

HTH.

virginia

>         Five gold stars to anyone who can solve this place name mystery. I
>     have a patron (professor) who is looking for a place called:
>
>                                 Zzyzx
>
>         No clue as to where in the world this place is. We've tried to
>     decide if it's a non-western language being romanized. We've looked
>     into countries of some of the more consonant infested languages. I even
>     suggested that it may be some form of coordinate system reference
>     instead of a true place name. None of these have panned out so far. If
>     any of you can add a clue or two to this, I'd be ever greatful.
>
>     Thanks in Advance,
>
>     Eric Schmidt
>     University of Tennessee
>     Cartographic Information Center

    : "STEPHEN WEISS" <[log in to unmask]>
            :  Utah State University
    :          Tue, 9 May 1995 10:10:27 MST7MDT
       :       Re: Place Name Mystery

johnnie.  ZZYZX is a road in the east mojave national scenic area
just outside baker, california.  there is a ZZYZX studies center,
also near baker.  their phone number is 909-880-5975.  i want those
five gold stars!

steve weiss
utah state university library
logan, utah  84322-3000
801-797-2684

    : Tue, 9 May 1995 12:10:29 -0400
       : Place Name Mystery

The location of Zzyzx seemed to be an easy one, but the origin of the name
has everyone stumped so here's my theory.

The name would put it alphabetically last in any gazetteer, making it the
last place on earth.

Art Lassagne
Gold Bug Maps        Historic Map Reproductions and Software
P.O. Box 588          (free list available by e- or snail mail)
Alamo, CA 94507      e-mail: [log in to unmask]   (510) 838-MAPS