From:
Helen Armstrong <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Feb 1997 16:15:30 EST
The University of Florida purchased the "Beat Generation map of America"
approx. 5 years ago from Aaron Blake Publishers in Los Angeles.  Unfor-
tunately we do not have an address for them either.

At the time we purchased all the "literary maps" we could obtained.  They
have been excellent attention getters for displays.  We have also found
them useful for lectures in Humanities courses.  We found there a number of
students who thought all maps were scientific or historical.  These popular
and colorful maps get the point across without a lot of talk.  Then we
introduce the more traditional types of maps.  The "literary" information
on these maps is very generalized but the graphics protray the essense of
the writer(s).  In addition to the Beat Generation, we were able to obtain
literary maps on the following subjects :  John Steinback,  Raymond Chandler's
Los Angeles, James Bond, Jane Austin and Sherlock Homes (from a different
publisher).

We have begun a collection of this type of map.  We would like to know if
others know of similar maps we could obtain.  We would appreciate learning
of any other titles and order info. if possible.   There are several maps
we are particularly interested in obtaining, if they exist:  1. UF has a
very old Mark Twain map for which we would like to obtain a newer version
or a copy.  (2) given James F. Cooper's imaginative sense of geography, we
would like a map for any or all of his novels. (3) Several years ago there was
a map calendar of the locations of the western writer Louis Amour's novels.
We would like to obtain printed versions of these maps or from the calendar
if they can still be found.

For anyone who is interested, a new edition of the "Florida Literary Map"
was published in 1994.  It was published by the Florida Center for the Book,
Broward County Main Library, 100 South Andrews Avenue, Fort Lauderdale
FL 33301 and the Florida Humanities Council, 1514 1/2 East Eighth Avenue,
Tampa FL 33605-3708.

Only one rather funny problem has developed since we began collecting
"Literary maps".  We were given a map of the "Ponderosa" from the old
"Bonanza" TV series and a map of the "Travels of Duncon Mcloud" from the
TV program "Highlander; the Series".  Since novels were written based
of the TV Series, does this mean we have to include them as "Literary
maps"?  This has produced a series of humorous discussions with some
outrageous examples of maps we should include.

HelenJane Armstrong,                     [log in to unmask]
Head, Map & Imagery Library
University of Florida
Gainesville, FL