From:
Date:
Fri, 11 Mar 1994 17:16:05 EST
Two messages about sources of digital zip code boundaries.-----Johnnie

      Thu Mar 10 12:56:14 EST 1994
         Re: Zip Code Boundary Files

I am not sure this exists. A reader informed us at one point that zip code
boundaries are negotiated, annually or on an as needed basis?, between
neighboring postmasters...er, mistresses? Anyway, these locally based changed,
the reader implied, made it implausible that a national paper map existed...or
even a set by states. So good luck on this one...To further explain, the idea
is that when a new subdivision goes in, zip area a has a population explosion
and begs to move his boundary into less settled areas--thus balancing the
delivery responsibilities in each zip code area. Something like that. Alice.

      Thu, 10 Mar 1994 14:35:51 +0000
      Henry Young <[log in to unmask]>
         Re: Zip Code Boundary Files

In article <[log in to unmask]>, <[log in to unmask]>
writes:
> I have a user who is looking for a ZIP Code boundary file for the (lordy,
> lordy) whole USA.  I know they are on the TIGER5, but county by county.
>
> Any idea where I can find it, in the public domain or out of it.
>
> Please reply to:
>
> Patrick McGlamery
> UConn
> (203) 486-4589

The Tiger files can be had from any federal depository libraries.  Each state
usually has its own CD, sometimes more.... There are quite a few.

The zip code data is embedded in the various record types.  i.e. you'll have
to figure out how to separate them.  If you have a GIS this may be easy, I
don't so I will have to write a program to do it.  (haven't had much time since
this is only a pet project).  There are companys that will probably sell you
the data in the form you need.  You may want to call the Census bureau to get
a list of such vendors.

Warning, the zip data is zip5 NOT zip + 4.  I believe they may include zip + 4
data in the next release.

                    - Henry