From:
Mary Anne Waltz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Mar 1994 12:41:01 EST
Last week, I posted a request for suggestions for general electronic
sources that our library might acquire (e.g. PCGlobe, DeLorme Global Explorer).
We are really just beginning to offer such services, and while we are in awe
of the capabilities that a map library such as Johnnie's can and will be able
to offer, such a thing is nowhere in our immediate future.  We would like to
be able to offer a good selection of general resources that are relatively
easy for our staff to learn and for our undergrads to use.  My plan is to
build a regular user group base with these sources, and then eventually
justify requests for more hardware and other products based on that user
group and increased expectations of our service.

I have had a number of responses to my message.  Most of them have been
from others who want the same kind of information that I am seeking, and
are waiting for my summary to the list.  My thanks to the two respondants
who have given me information on their experiences with products.  I would
like to ask again, not only for myself, but for the dozen or so others who
have asked for this kind of information.  We would really appreciate some
guidance and suggestions in this area.

Thank you.

Mary Anne Waltz
Head, Maps and Government Information Dept.
Syracuse University Library
Syracuse, NY  13244-2010
internet   [log in to unmask]
bitnet     [log in to unmask]