From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Francis Harvey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Dec 1998 11:42:57 -0500
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Wed, 09 Dec 1998 10:33:02 -0500
From: Francis Harvey <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: MI Request for Comments - ISO Draft Standard on
SpatialReferencing by Coordinates

This isn't a paradox, just a misunderstanding I believe. Draft ISO
standards are reviewed by national standards committees. The email you cite
was sent to lists with largely N. American readership in order to inform US
nationals of the opportunity they have to make comments to the US
committee. This has nothing to do with the US establishing an international
standard. Each country does (or can do) likewise, although most seem to do
it in more closed professional organizations. The openness of this email
call and procedure may be the issue here, as citizens of other countries
(Spain included) have the possiblity of responding to their national
committee's calls for comments. But, of course, only if there are such calls.

Sincerely,
Francis Harvey

At 09:44 AM 09-12-98 +0100, you wrote:
>Funny paradox:
>
>An International Organization  putting together an International
>Standard....
>
>but...
>
>you have to be an "International" United States citizen OR represent the
>interests of a United States domiciled organization... to be eligible  for
>reviewing and providing comments on that work.
>
>"We live in one of two worlds:
>else in the world  that can establish international  standards (USA),
>or else in the world  that must comply with international  standards (the
>rest)."
>

>-----Original Message cut-----

--- End Forwarded Message ---