From:
Date:
Thu, 18 Nov 1993 10:57:05 EST
This message is from Bill Stinson, with a very slight edit job to put two
messages together into one message.-----------Johnnie

      Thu, 18 Nov 1993 18:16:49 +1100 (EST)
      William Stinson <[log in to unmask]>
         CAL map instruction software

At Macquarie University we are interested in using hypercard to develop a
computer assisted learning package to help undergraduate students learn
about the various types of maps in the map room and the information which
is on maps. We are also interested in developing a supplementary module
showing how to find maps on the Library's CLSI OPAC catalogue. This most
likely be a part of a wider reader education package. Has anyone
produced or seen (commercially?) this type of CAL package already? If so,
do you know what authoring program was used? The University has a production
centre and there is a choice of various authoring programs. Perhaps
hypercard is not the best choice, but it is not intended that the package
be too high-tech.

Extra information on CAL map instruction request.

I should have added in my message       that while Macquarie University's
production facilities are Macintosh based, the Library has both PCs
and Macs. The Library's cd-roms and School databases are accessed from the
PCs. We would have to decide which is the most appropriate, especially if we
take into account the other likely uses we could have for a computer link in
the Map Room. I would be interested in hearing about people's preferences
for Mac or PC. I confess I am not terribly computer literate in this
area.

Also, I understand that a Mac produced program can be converted to PC
format for an extra amount that is about 20% of the cost of the original
production cost, and that the conversion cost used to be about 40% of the
production cost. If conversion costs are dropping then CAL production on
Macintosh equipment and conversion for use on PC would be viable.

Thanks

Bill Stinson
Audiovisual Department
Macquarie University Library