From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paige Andrew <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Sep 2001 14:55:34 -0400
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2001 08:59:29 -0400
From: Paige Andrew <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Marcive map records question
Sender: Paige Andrew <[log in to unmask]>

Folks,

We are in the process of making a decision to start a subscription for
Marcive records soon and a question has come up locally regarding the
percentage of Depository maps as new receipts vs. all new receipts that we
receive. After some checking with our Government Docs folk I found that
indeed nobody locally has ever kept counts of the number of map titles
received each year through the Depository program, nor is required to, and
thus we do not have a method for measuring the impact of titles received in
this manner. Bottom line is that we would like to use the Marcive map
records pretty much "as is" with the exception of inputting a G-class call
number and a barcode number, and this means a potential shift in the
cataloging workflow for depository maps here.

If anyone can assist us with even a good ballpark percentage figure of
depository maps as new receipts out of the whole of all new receipts on an
annual basis for a medium-to-large sized map collection it would be greatly
appreciated!

Thanking all of you in advance,

Paige
Paige Andrew