Date:
Tue, 9 Oct 2007 12:08:42 -0500
Subject:        RE: Folded vs. flat
Date:   Tue, 9 Oct 2007 12:59:11 -0400
From:   Grabach, Kenneth A. Mr. <[log in to unmask]>
To:     Maps, Air Photo & Geospatial Systems Forum <[log in to unmask]>

Hallie, and all:

Your question is, indeed generating interesting responses.  My take on this is that whatever practice you put into place, you will have exceptions.  I prefer to leave folded the maps that come in attached covers, whether they are the Falk series that cannot really be handled as flat, anyway, or others, for example, Freytag & Berndt, that often have a place-name or street index attached, as well.  I prefer to leave these as they are and file them in smaller filing cabinets.  Other maps are more easily handled here, as well, such as the small formats of U.S. CIA maps.  These are likely to get lost in the cases with the larger sheet maps.  The difficulty, of course, is that there are two sequences of the same classification numbers for maps.  I have handled this by using more than one location label and code, one for the smaller maps and one for the sheet maps.  Again, no single solution is going to accommodate all possible variations of the ways maps are published.

Ken

Ken Grabach                           <[log in to unmask]>
Maps Librarian                         Phone: 513-529-1726
Miami University Libraries
Oxford, Ohio  45056  USA