From:
Maps-L Moderator <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 26 Aug 2008 08:08:28 -0500
Subject:        Re: Aerial Photos Scanning Parameters Question
Date:   Mon, 25 Aug 2008 21:06:11 -0500
From:   Dennis McClendon <[log in to unmask]>
To:     [log in to unmask]
CC:     [log in to unmask]

I'm familiar with the NIPC Mylar film of which you speak (as a
longtime user), and I honestly think that scanning the Mylar halftone
film is pretty much a waste of time and money.  Once broken up into
coarse halftone dots, there's no real way to put imagery back
together into continuous tones except to blur it, which will make it
usable only at around 1:50,000 or smaller scale.  I would suggest
that it would be much wiser to work from the original 9x9 negs from
Geonex.  I also thought that NIPC had sets of 9x9 contact prints from
most of the series.  Those could be scanned as contone originals.

Dennis