Date:
Thu, 24 Aug 1995 23:24:56 EDT
This message was forwarded to Maps-L by Larry Cruse.-----Johnnie

From:   SMTP%"[log in to unmask]"  4-AUG-1995 10:53:30.97
Subj:   OTA Information Center to close
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 1995 10:49:19 -0400

The OPM library closing is not an isolated one.  The risk of losing
government information is high in this current legislative climate.  The
elimination of the Office of Technology Assessment is not an abstract idea,
but a reality.  This agency has contributed to the body of knowledge in
science and technology for 20 years, and is duplicated nowhere.   As Manager
of the OTA Information Center, I have the unfortunate responsibility of
breaking up a unique collection of materials, and presiding over the demise
of what was a wonderful resource.  5 professional librarians are in a
position to lose their jobs on September 30.  I and my staff do not have the
luxury of being told that our jobs now consist of "looking for a job."  The
staff of the Information Center are still filling requests, conducting
searches, etc.  while they mobilize to find new positions.  OTA is committed
to finalizing and publishing some 30 reports between now and the end of the
fiscal year so that they can be made available through GPO, NTIS and online
somewhere (it is hoped) in electronic format.  The OTA web site will not
exist in FY96 so if you haven't visited it, now would be a good time to do
so.

Don't is always seem to go,  that you don't know what you've got 'til it's
gone...

World Wide Web:  http://www.ota.gov
Telnet:  otabbs.ota.gov, login as public
FTP:  otabbs.ota.gov,login as anonymous, password is your e-mail address,
publications are in the /pub directory

Gail Kouril, Manager, Information Services
Office of Technology Assessment
Information Center
United States Congress
Washington, DC  20510-8025