From:
"Angie Cope, AGSL" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Nov 2005 07:32:23 -0600
MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L

Subject: Re: MAPS-L: geographic s.h. questionn TOWN s.h.
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2005
From: Susan A. Hawkins <[log in to unmask]>
To: Maps, Air Photo & Geospatial Systems Forum <[log in to unmask]>

I used to deal with Tax maps and had to deal with the 200 year old
land  maps - what about the difference between towns (incorporated,
modern), towns (layman, unincorporated, no definite borders, modern like
Massachusetts-I've been told), and townships (like 1791 in NY State - the
huge twps whose boundaries do not coincide with the modern towns)? The
villages I dealt with were completely different from these 3 things - they
had their own legal boundaries. The 1791 (or so) version is used for legal
or deed descriptions. They usually have peoples' names "George Parish's
Township" or something like that. If I remember correctly, that goes from
Central NY up into the Adirondacks.

These usually don't occur in normal libraries like yours, though they may,
I have run into them online from time to time.

As David says, "clear as mud"! It took me years to understand.

---sue h
Susan A. Hawkins                            National Aerial Resources
12 Arrowhead La, Box 4
Cohoes, NY    12047
V: 800-827-2994       F: 518-785-8088
http://www.nar.com            ...insight through aerial photography

At 02:33 PM 10/20/05, you wrote:
>By the way ... the question has been sufficiently answered. Additional
>comments are welcome - but the main issue has been addressed. Thanks all.
>MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L
>
>Subject: Re: MAPS-L: geographic s.h. question
>Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005
>From: David J. Bertuca <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Maps, Air Photo & Geospatial Systems Forum <[log in to unmask]>
>

>Hello Beth and all;
>
>Here at University at Buffalo, that was a continuing topic among the
>catalogers. I have been planning on adding a short clarification note on
>our website for map cataloging and just haven't gotten to it. The LC Map
>Cataloging Manual has a definition and without having it in hand, I can
>give you a basic description. For some states, there are distinct towns and
>larger municipalities that are either called "townships" or just "towns"
>that have the same name as the town (smaller unit) within their boundaries.
>
>In NY and PA (which we've cataloged a lot of), there are many instances of
>this. An example below illustrates:
>
>3804 B32        Bath (N.Y.)
>3804 B323       Bath (N.Y. : Town)
>
>There is a town called Bath, and within its limits there is "the" town of
>Bath (it could have been the "village" or other official name). Bath (N.Y.)
>is the urban area called "Town of Bath" but it is situated within a
>township called "Bath" which gets the heading Bath (N.Y. : Town).
>
>The urban center is the first heading above, while the township is the 2nd
>version, with the qualifier "town."
>
>In NY the word "Township" is not used so the headings do not use it. There
>are some states (LC lists these in the Manual) that do use "Township" as
>their qualifier.
>
>This of course is the really short version of this. You can almost always
>follow this and be correct as generally, the "Town" qualifier represents
>the larger entity, not the smaller.
>
>IF the township does not have a town within its boundaries that uses the
>same name, then you can just use the "[townname] (N.Y.)" without further
>qualifier. that of course makes it a little more exciting to work on and a
>gazetteer and atlas is very helpful. Also, LC has placed its G schedule
>online and has included all the town/township/village, etc. entries for
>U.S. towns and cities. that is very helpful too.
>
>the big thing is to be consistent when doing this, so that if later you
>realize that you did them the opposite way from earlier works or in-house
>policy decisions, you can at least know you did them all the same.
>
>I know for example, that some of our catalogers were interpreting it that
>the larger township was the unqualified heading while the smaller urban
>center was given the "Town" qualifier. and an argument can be made for both
>ways. The above is based on LC's interpretation and how they follow it.
>
>clear as mud, I know. I hope it was descriptive enough.
>
>David J. Bertuca, Map Librarian
> [...]

War is God's way of teaching Americans geography.
Ambrose Bierce