From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
peter nugter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Nov 1999 13:56:12 -0500
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Mon, 08 Nov 1999 02:13:56 -0100
From: peter nugter <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Fwd: Re: the Motaain (EAST TIMOR) shooting incident <fwd>
Sender: peter nugter <[log in to unmask]>

Dear Brendan,

Yesterday I thought if anyone will respond it will for sure be Brendan!
I did not make a wrong guess:)))

Now we seem to agree on one point; the Mota Talau River marks the frontier
between Timor and Indonesia or (in colonial times) between Portuguese Timor
and the Dutch East Indies.
Now  the shifting of the line on the map seems not very important to me as
both parties know that the river marks the frontier line. Wherever the line
is or may be on the map, the ACTUAL line was and is the river. Only in
areas with a dense population the question may be important whether the
frontier line is along the streamline or at one of his banks.
Now it seems to me important till what distance INTERFET approached Motaain
on the moment of shooting. Were they already climbing up the hills at the
south-eastern side?

Now I have a proposal. I will ask the Indonesians for their commenentary on
this incident. May be you will be able to contact INTERFET for their
opinion. May be nice:)))

Greetings, Peter Nugter

And the shooting incident - as far as I know - was NOT along the river but
higher
>X-From_: [log in to unmask]  Sun Nov  7 04:48:05 1999
>Date: Sun, 07 Nov 1999 14:44:14 +1100
>To: peter nugter <[log in to unmask]>
>From: Brendan Whyte <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: the Motaain (EAST TIMOR) shooting incident <fwd>
>
>On early Dutch maps, the border symbol, a thick black line, is shifted east
>to make the river along which it lies more visible. This may then be
>interpreted by Indon soldiers as meaning the border is directly under the
>line, and not along the river parallel to it. On the Indon maps INTERFET
>uses, the border is only a provincial one, and so less thick and more
>modern methods allow it to be small and light and not intrude on reading
>the terrain, and hence it can be put in the correct place on the map.
>That'sa my interpretation fomr looking at the old Dutch maps.
>Brendan Whyte
>

>At 16:34 6/11/99 -0500, you wrote:

E-MAIL ADDRESS: [log in to unmask]

        http://www.mapswap.com/