From:
Date:
Thu, 1 Apr 2004 14:46:30 -0500
Subject: RE:      Map tubes and map check out
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2004 13:22:57 -0600
From: Youngblood, Dawn <[log in to unmask]>

------------------
We use these plastic map tubes as a check out system.  We obtained them
at low cost from a local architectural supply store. They are heavy duty
black plastic and come in a narrow and wide size.  The larger size means
maps do not have to be rolled as tightly. It is best to use a rubber
band when inserting the maps because otherwise it is difficult to get
them beyond the screw on lip without damage. By the way, in case anyone
is interested, our check out system is to fill out a card in the map
library listing items in the tube.  Each tube is numbered (1-20), bar
coded, and tattle taped so that it can then be checked out at our main
circulation desk the same as a book. The simple number is put on the
hand card in the map library to avoid writing out long bar codes, but
can easily be correlated to the bar code if one turns up missing. This
system protects the maps and saves us from having to bar code more than
a quarter of a million maps. If you do not find these tubes at a local!
  architectural supply, let me know. Best.

Dr. Dawn Youngblood,
Ph.D Archaeology
Edwin J. Foscue Map Library
Southern Methodist University