From:
"Alan K. Edmonds" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Oct 1996 14:15:04 EDT
I don't remember the book that detailed this, but it was about efforts
to provide airmen with survival, evasion and escape tools.  It might have
been in one of the books on POW camps.  This particular book was about the
British agency involved.

The information I recall is that at least some if not all of the maps were
printed on silk.  They went through several tests to determine what material
would resist creasing and fold small enough to be concealed inside clothing,
such as in the heel of a boot.  This book also mentioned that when showing
these maps to the commerical map houses they were able to identify the source
maps as their copy righted work because of the intentional errors they had
introduced.

Alan K. Edmonds
Mapping Lab Supervisor
Civil & Environmental Engineering & Geodetic Science
The Ohio State University