From:
Alberta Wood <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Jul 1995 12:14:16 EDT
I am sure that others will check their favorite dictionary about this, as
I did check Webster's Ninth New Collegiate Dictionary (c1986).  This has
as definition 1a "the art or practice of graphic delineation in detail
usu. on maps or charts of natural or man-made features of a place or
region esp. in a way to show their relative positions and elevations" and
1b is "topographical surveying".  Its 2a definition states "the
configuration of a surface including its relief and the position of its
natural and man-made features" while 2b is "the physical or natural
features of an object or entity and their structural relationships."  It
has no additional definitions. Though some street maps show a lot of
detail, it is true, I would not normally call them topographic maps.

|Alberta Auringer Wood, Map Librarian, Memorial University of Newfoundland, |
|St. John's, Newfoundland, CANADA  A1B 3Y1.  phone: 709-737-8892;           |
|     fax: 709-737-2153;     Internet:  [log in to unmask]             |