From:
Date:
Mon, 1 Nov 2004 15:49:57 -0500
Subject: RE: teaching advice]]
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2004 11:41:30 -0500
From: HelenJane Armstrong <[log in to unmask]>
To: 'Maps and Air Photo Systems Forum' <[log in to unmask]>

------------------
Glad you mentioned the different globes.  They also have been a hit with our
tours at the University of Florida.  We put out a variety of globes
including several inflated globes hanging from the ceiling.  One has many
animals on it and the other has all sorts of whales and dophins.

Our most recent purchase that is catching the students attention is a large
see through plastic globe with only the countries colored.  There has been a
lot of talk amoung the 3rd & 4th graders about what country is directly on
the other side of the World.  I am seriously thinking of getting one of the
hugable Globes that I saw at the International Map Dealer's Trade Show.

By the way,for the upper level grades the Plate Tectonics globe is always a
winner.  It has velco continents which can be placed in different formations
depending upon the Geologic Age.  We also put out the globes of Venus and
Mars plus images from the fly bys and landings.  It is amazing how much some
of the classes know about geology and the Universe.

One caution for those with very young students touring is to be careful with
your floor mounted globes.  Youngsters love to spin these globes--and
spin--and spin.
Helen

HelenJane Armstrong, PhD
Head, Map & Imagery Library