From:
Date:
Tue, 16 Oct 2012 15:41:57 -0500
Subject: RE: Large format scanners
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2012 15:20:48 -0400
From: Grabach, Kenneth A. Mr. <[log in to unmask]>
To: Maps, Air Photo, GIS Forum - Map Librarianship <[log in to unmask]>

I don't know what "reasonable cost" means to someone without resources
of an institution.  In addition to sizes of scanners there are different
formats of the scanning process.  What you describe is probably a
flatbed scanner, capable of handling single sheets.  The beds of these
scanners are in various sizes.

The type of scanner described yesterday was recommended because it can
handle materials in bindings, as a normal book or bound atlas.  These
work with the item to be scanned, either bound or flat sheets, with the
surface to be scanned facing upward. No glass surface needs to be
cleaned other than normal cleaning of the lens.

Large-format scanners that are capable of handling various sizes of
large sheets such as wall maps work as a 'continuous feed', with a set
of rollers moving the original facing down across the scanning surface.
  These have finite width, but allow infinite length for the originals
to be scanned.  This type is not able to handle bound materials.  They
will handle any type of loose sheet.

The first, flatbed scanners, vary in price depending on size and scanner
quality.  The others, designed for institutional work, are of various
prices but are much more expensive than the others.  They are usually
priced in the thousands of dollars.  Depending on amount of scanning,
and resources available to purchase one, reasonable can be a term of
varying definition.

For this type and the bound book scanners (they would also handle
newspapers and broadsides) quotes are offered, rather than direct
pricing given at the vendor sites.  Use of these would also require
purchase of specialized software.  For these, rental may be an option.
The Atiz (book scanner) web site provides some contact information about
such options.

Ken Grabach                           <[log in to unmask]>
Maps Librarian                          Phone: 513-529-1726
Miami University Libraries
Oxford, Ohio  45056  USA