Date:
Mon, 20 Nov 2006 08:30:35 -0600
Subject:        Re: MAPS-L: Access to collection of georeferenced aerials
Date:   Sat, 18 Nov 2006 16:38:36 -0500 (EST)
From:   Jon Jablonski <[log in to unmask]>
To:     Maps, Air Photo & Geospatial Systems Forum <[log in to unmask]>

> We have three sets of georeferenced aerials of our region, each eight to
> ten years apart.
>
> We consider them digital collections. Recently we have been requested to
> give them away to a county for use by a surveyor.
>
> What policies do universities have for such requests? Normally, we would
> only provide access to 10% of a special collection.
>
> Some agencies permit the viewing of such products and the dissemination of
> paper copies.

Cynthia:

At the Univeristy of Oregon, we have a vast collection of aerial
photographs, almost exclusively paper.  The overwhelming use of this
collection is by those outside the university, therefore we have set up a
'cost recovery' system to provide access to them.

As we start to go digital, this system will remain in place.

The goal is to make sure that serving these public users does not
interfere with our ability to serve our campus.  I would be surprised if
your campus/state did not have a similar method for recovering costs.

The cost recovery now pays for most of my library technician, all of my
student labor, and part of my salary.

I'm more than happy to provide you with more information offline.

-jon jablonski
 map/gis librarina.  university of oregon.