From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mary Douglass <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Nov 2002 15:38:39 -0500
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2002 23:28:28 -0500
From: Mary Douglass <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Map preservation question
Sender: Mary Douglass <[log in to unmask]>

Here at Seattle Public Library we have embarked on a project to encapsulate
the older, fragile maps in our Seattle map collection.  We now have
questions about the process of handling larger maps (ones that clearly
don't fit flat in a standard map case drawer), and I would love your
feedback. Should we:
A) cut or fold the map in half so that the encapsulated product has two
sides - front and back, or B) cut the map in half and encapsulate the two
halves separately?  Obviously each option has its pros and cons:  A) the
two sides of the map will not get separated, but you cannot view the map as
a whole; B) the two halves could get separated or lost, but you can put the
two pieces together to view the whole.  And please remember that these
preservation efforts are being done primarily to increase patron access to
these maps rather than to preserve them as archival material.
Your opinions on the matter will be much appreciated!

Mary Douglass <[log in to unmask]>

--- End Forwarded Message ---