From:
Date:
Wed, 3 Sep 2003 14:58:29 -0400
Subject: USGS Topographic Map Shipments
   Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2003 10:11:03 -0500
   From: "Zellmer, Linda R" <[log in to unmask]>

Hello All,

        Please excuse the duplication, but I wanted to get the widest
possible coverage on this information.

        Recently on Maps-L, there were several comments about the USGS
Topographic map shipments that had a "new" type of shipping list that
was not easy to read. As the Cartographic User's Advisory Council
Liaison to the U.S. Geological Survey, I contacted USGS with the Map
Library community's concerns about these shipping lists. When we finally
received our shipment of these maps here at IU, I found the same type of
list as those mentioned by Ken and Chris, without the familiar shipping
list.

        Recently, I received a telephone call from USGS Denver
explaining that the shipments should have included the familiar shipping
list, but someone forgot to include them with the shipments. He told me
to check the web site for the shipping lists.  Today, I received the
following memo from USGS, which I have been asked to share. The familiar
shipping lists will continue to come with the shipments, although we may
also receive a green-bar pick sheet as well.  If you have any additional
comments or questions, please feel free to contact me. Linda Zellmer

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Linda Zellmer
Head, Geology Library
Geology Building, Room 601
1001 E. 10th Street
Bloomington, Indiana 47405-1405
Phone: (812) 855-7170 Fax: (812) 855-6614

               Changes in U.S. Geological Survey sendings

                    to Federal Depository Libraries

                         --Effective June 2003--

The Branch of Information Services (BIS) supports the dissemination of
products and information for the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). BIS
receives shipments monthly, and distributes the new and revised map
products to depository libraries in compliance with an Interagency
Agreement between the USGS and the U.S. Government Printing Office
(GPO).

In June 2003, BIS implemented a new order processing system specifically
developed for depository library sendings. The previous system, although
effective, was a tedious and complicated manual process. The new system
creates a custom Pick Sheet consisting of products specific to the
recipient’s ordering criteria. The Pick Sheet is a new feature providing
the following benefits:

     ·       Helps USGS pull the correct products for each recipient in
     a more timely manner
     ·       Informs recipients what materials should be contained in
     their order
     ·       Greatly improves USGS’s ability to efficiently resolve and
     process claims
     ·       Enables USGS to better handle package returns as a result
     of shipment problems

Recipients will continue to receive the familiar Federal Depository
Library Ship List, which lists all the new and revised GPO items for
that specific shipment. This ship list is also sent to GPO in softcopy
to be posted on their website: http://fedbbs.access.gpo.gov/fdlp01.htm.

Customers receiving multiple series products may receive multiple
packages of various sizes.

Questions or comments on these new processes, as well as claims related
to sendings should be directed to the following:

U. S. Geological Survey
Branch of Information Services
Federal Center, Box 25286, MS 306,  Attn: Receiving
Denver, Colorado 80225

Phone (303) 202-4703
Fax (303) 202-4694
Email: GS-N-RMMC Inventory Management [log in to unmask]