From:
Ross Togashi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Oct 1995 10:20:09 EDT
Greetings again,
Several people have contacted me asking for more details on how
we managed to display our "mosaic" of USGS 7.5 min topo quads.
So for those people and those who are thinking about it, here
are a few more tips on doing a similar "mosaic" of map sheets.

Brought to my attention by Dale Steele is the fact that the USGS
uses a conic (Lambert) projection in some states, and in others
(such as Hawaii) a State coordinate system, or the transverse
Mercator projection.  Our assistants did not run into any major
problem that could be attributed to our projection, but this
may have been because of the relatively small number of sheets
(15) in our map mosaic and the assistants allowing themselves
to "fudge" a little bit to fit the map sheet "strips" on top of
each other.  For those of you contemplating mosaic-ing a large
number of conic projection map sheets, the un-squaredness may
become more of a concern to you.  Caution here.

The spray adhesive was of the semi-permanent type.  Also availa-
ble was a permanent spray.  We sprayed the back surface of the
encapsulated map and then placed it on the wall.  The can suggested
that we spray both, wall and item for a more secure hold.  Pretty
bad fumes.  Be sure to do the spraying outside or in well ventilated
areas.  Have wall marked off so you can more easily throw map on
wall after spraying and running in from outside before it dries.

Have fun.

Aloha,
Ross Togashi
University of Hawaii at Manoa
Hamilton Library - Map Collection
email [log in to unmask]           mmmmm...distilled monoglycerides