From:
Angie Cope <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 20 Jun 2010 19:37:04 -0500
----- Forwarded Message -----
From: [log in to unmask]
To: "Air Photo Maps, GIS Forum - Map Librarianship" <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Friday, June 18, 2010 5:18:40 PM
Subject: Re: atlas date question

------------------ Silvana --

One way to handle it would be to treat it as an Integrating Resource.
For that, see Appendix K of Cartographic Materials, which comes down to
Rule 1.4F8 of AACR2. But then there are these problems: making a
judgment about
whether or not you have the beginning and ending parts of the resource,
or just some intervening parts; and if you don't want to go out on a
limb to
say that you have the last iteration, then your open date in 260 will
make it misleading for those who want to sort search results by date.
Maybe you
could make a local decision to put the first and last dates in the fixed
fields and 260c of your local record, even if you didn't put them in the
utility master record.

I hope this helps somewhat.

Nancy

++++++++++++
Nancy A. Kandoian
Map Cataloger
The Lionel Pincus and Princess Firyal Map Division
Stephen A. Schwarzman Building
The New York Public Library
5th Ave. & 42nd St.
New York, NY 10018-2788

phone 212-930-0586, fax 212-930-0027

atlas date question

Angie Cope
to: MAPS-L
06/18/2010 04:29 PM

Sent by:
"Maps, Air Photo, GIS Forum - Map Librarianship"
<[log in to unmask]> Please respond to "Maps, Air Photo, GIS Forum
- Map Librarianship"