From:
Date:
Fri, 17 Aug 2012 12:57:49 -0500
Subject: Re: Moving map cases
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2012 10:52:21 -0700
From: Jon Jablonski <[log in to unmask]>
To: Maps, Air Photo, GIS Forum - Map Librarianship <[log in to unmask]>

I'm prepping for a move right now, so I'll have lots to say on the
topic.  As a starter:

> "Using AutoCAD to Help Relocate a Map Collection: The University of
> Tennessee Libraries' Experience" by Greg March, in the Journal of Map
> and Geography Libraries, Vol. 5, No. 2, July-Dec. 2009.

SketchUp is a brilliant and free application to do quick 3d mockups of
spaces.  There is a library of furniture you can download that includes
flatfiles.  Using this tool and an existing floorplan, you can actually
lay out where each piece of furniture goes, check sightlines, measure
distances between pieces of furniture to make sure you can turn carts
around corners, and just generally get a much better feel for how the
space will come out than you can with a 2d drawing.

AND:  there's lots of youtube tutorials.  One I found particularly
useful shows how to turn a 2d floorplan into a 3d model of a
space--that's the first step and doing it for a space you are familiar
with is a great way to learn the software rather than doing a canned
tutorial.  In the 3 or 4 hours it took me to 'draw' my space, I got very
comfortable with the tools and menus that I needed to place all the
furniture.

-Jon Jablonski
  UC Surf Board