From:
"Angie Cope, AGSL" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Jul 2006 16:25:17 -0500
Subject:        Re: 1950s US National Atlas Sheets
Date:   Mon, 10 Jul 2006 17:22:33 -0400
From:   Mark A. Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
To:     <[log in to unmask]>

Here's a followup to my earlier message .... I did find a reference to
the 1950s National Atlas program on an LC webpage:
http://rs6.loc.gov/ammem/gmdhtml/census3.html although this doesn't talk
about the material that was produced under the auspices of this program.
I'm still interested in more detail, such as a comprehensive listing of
sheets published in this uniform style with the same series title.

I'll quote here:

"Various federal agencies, professional organizations, and commercial
firms had advocated producing a National Atlas of the United States of
America, but the magnitude of the task and the scope of the research
required deterred those who would begin it. Late in 1954, the National
Academy of Sciences-National Research Council established a Committee on
the National Atlas of the United States, with representatives from
several federal mapmaking agencies. The committee's primary
responsibilities were to coordinate all federal agencies that would be
involved in producing the atlas and to ensure uniform quality in its
cartography. This proved to be a nearly impossible task, and
consequently in 1961 the committee terminated itself. In so doing it
recommended that the atlas be completed by one federal agency,
preferably the Geological Survey in the U.S. Department of the Interior.
In March of 1961, the Secretary of the Interior accepted the challenge."

Thanks,
        Mark
Mark Thomas / [log in to unmask] / 919-660-5853, fax:919-684-2855
Economics, Geology, Geography Bibliographer
Map and GIS Librarian / Public Documents and Maps Department
Perkins Library / Duke University, Durham, NC 27708-0177

-