From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 16 Feb 2001 10:12:03 -0500
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 10:03:59 -0500
From: Tom <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: langitude and lontitude <fwd>
Sender: Tom <[log in to unmask]>

When I was in grammer school, for some reason the phrase "horse
latitudes" stuck with me (that and the mantra "latitude, longitude,
prevailing wind and current").  Since then I have always had a mental
image of this E-W corridor in which all the horses died when the
Spanish ships entered the doldrums. Whenever I lecture about latitude
and longitude, I have to resort to that mental image to get the words
right.
Tom Hanley, Department of Chemistry and Geology, Columbus State U.,
4225 University Ave., Columbus, Georgia 31907-5645.
Links to the ACRES project and to 1998 and 1999 pictures I took in Panama may be found at:
http://chemgeo.ColState.edu/th_hp.htm
VOX: 706-568-2074; FAX: 706-569-3133.
--- End Forwarded Message ---