From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
CONNIE MANSON <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Jul 2002 16:56:29 -0400
Folks--

     (Well!  It's About Time!)

     I'm pleased to announce that the Geologic Map of
Washington--Northwest Quadrant  is now available. (The press release is
attached, "GM50-News".)      This is the map everyone has been wanting,
since it includes the Puget Lowland (where Seattle is), the Olympic
Peninsula, and the North Cascades. The map sells for $10 folded (plus
$3.50 s&h) and $12 rolled  (plus $3.50 s&h).

     We've changed our postage schedule; it's now based on the total
cost of the order. That new schedule is attached ("Postage").

     Orders must be prepaid. Mail orders to:
  Publications
  Washington Division of Geology & Earth Resources
  P O Box 47007
  Olympia, WA 98504-7007

     For our exchange partners (and you are, if you've been getting
automatically getting our published reports):  --You may have noticed
that we've changed our procedures. Instead of automatically sending
everything-to-everyone, we're now sending everyone a list from which
they can choose (all, some, or none).
--The new list, which includes the NW Quad, should be mailed this week.
--I've attached the full address list of our exchange partners
("FormalSend"). You can check that (best searched by city or zip code)
to see just where, in your vast organization, that notice will go.
--Just fill out that form and return it to us. We'll send you the
reports you select (no charge for that postage).  Additional copies are
available at the regular sales and postage prices. --If your
organization is NOT on our list, well....  You could ask to be added,
but I couldn't guarantee it.

     We're delighted and very relieved that this map is finally out.
It's been a long time coming...

--Connie

Connie J. Manson
Senior Librarian
Washington Division of Geology and Earth Resources
P.O. Box 47007
1111 Washington S.E., Room 173
Olympia, WA 98504-7007
ph: 360/902-1472; fax: 360/902-1785

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXxx
Moderators Note:  I have pasted the first two attachments below,  but
the third was 18 pages so please ask Connie Manson to send you that
kist direct.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

DNR Completes Geologic Map of Washington's Northwest Quadrant; Final map in four-part series now available

OLYMPIA - The long-awaited geologic map of the northwest quadrant of Washington State has been completed and is now available for purchase, State Geologist Ron Teissere with the Washington Department of Natural Resources (DNR) announced today.

The four-color map comes folded in a 9-1/2 x 12-inch envelope containing a 76-page pamphlet and three plates: the geologic map, the descriptions of map units, and ages of map units.

The map is the result of a multi-year cooperative effort by geologists with DNR's Geology and Earth Resources Division (the state's geological survey) with assistance from geologists with the U.S. Geological Survey, several Washington universities, and the local geological community.

"The release of this fourth and final map completes a very popular series of quadrant maps comprising the geologic map of Washington at 1:250,000 scale. DNR published the three earlier quadrant maps in 1987 (southwest), 1991 (northeast), and 1997 (southeast)," added Teissere, who also manages DNR's Geology and Earth Resources Division.

DNR geologists have now completed geologic mapping for the entire state of Washington at scales of 1:100,000 (1 inch = approximately 1.6 miles) and 1:250,000 (1 inch = approximately 4 miles). These scales are most appropriate for an overall understanding of the state's geology and geologic hazards, resource evaluations, land use planning, and geohydrologic studies.

DNR's current geologic mapping efforts focus on the identification and description of geologic hazards in Washington and on the production of larger-scale geologic maps (1:24,000 or 1 inch = 2,000 feet). Larger-scale maps allow more precise, site-specific descriptions of geologic hazards, such as landslides, soil liquefaction and ground amplification during earthquakes, and potential debris flows from Cascade volcanoes.

The approximately 4-1/2 x 3-foot individual quadrant maps make a colorful wall display when mounted separately or together. Copies of the northwest quadrant may be purchased for $10 per copy or $12 for a flat map in a tube from:

(MORE)

        Washington Department of Natural Resources
        Division of Geology and Earth Resources
        P O Box 47007
        Olympia, WA  98504-7007
        Phone: 360-902-1450
        Fax: 360-902-1785
        E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Website: http://www.wa.gov/dnr/htdocs/ger/

DNR's Geology and Earth Resources Division provides applied geological and geotechnical services to the public, the geologic community, the state and other government agencies, and universities. Division staff also administer Washington's regulatory and information programs for oil, natural gas, geothermal drilling, and surface and metal mining. Geology and Earth Resources staff has expertise in growth management and practical experience with regulatory reform.

DNR is administered by Commissioner of Public Lands Doug Sutherland, Washington's 12th Commissioner since statehood in 1889.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

New price list for plotted maps and postage starting, JULY 1, 2002.

$3.50 for black and white OFR maps
 $7.50 for color OFR maps (OFR 99-4 and 2000-4 and on)

New Postage and Handling Rates

Publication     Publication             Shipping &
Costs From:     Costs To:               Handling
0       $5.00   $2.50
$5.01   $10.00  $3.50
$10.01  $20.00  $4.50
$20.01  $30.00  $5.50
$30.01  $50.00  $6.50
$50.01  $70.00  $7.50
$70.01  $90.00  $8.50
*$90.01 110.00  $9.50

*Each additional $20.00 in publication costs, add $1.00 for postage and handling.
Rates apply for Domestic U.S. only

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx