From:
"Angie Cope, AGSL" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Sep 2005 11:30:06 -0500
Sorry! I was off Friday and not checking my email ... so this one
becomes a Tuesday question ...

MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L

Subject: expanding cutters.
Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2005 13:31:40 -0400 (EDT)
From: Jon Jablonski <[log in to unmask]>
To: Maps, Air Photo & Geospatial Systems Forum <[log in to unmask]>

Here's a Friday afternoon classification question for you:

As we start to get more organized here at UO, we are finding more and more
gaps in our knowledge, and more and more maps that seem to want the same
class number.

It's no surprise that multiple maps wind up with the same class numbers.
But when the author/publisher is the same, how are people expanding
cutters to distinguish between 2 different titles.  Are they using a work
indicator, ala:

        G 7610 2003 .U5a
        G 7610 2003 .U5b

or are you expanding the cutter according to the table, slowly spelling
out United States as the CIA produces each successive ever-so-slightly
different map of Iraq:

        G 7610 2003 .U5
        G 7610 2003 .U55
        G 7610 2003 .U558
        G 7610 2003 .U5584

Inquiring minds want to know.  And dusty maps want to be put away.

-jon jablonski
  University of Oregon MAP/GIS Librarian