From:
Mary Larsgaard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Apr 1997 10:18:36 EDT
The classic response to this is from the monograph, Or I'll Dress You In
Mourning (maybe by Dominique Lapierre???), which is a biography of the
bullfighter El Cordobes.  He was visiting a priest, saw the globe in the
priest's study, asked what it was - until the priest explained, El Cordobes had
no idea that the Earth is round; he came from a impoverished background (maybe
never attended school at all? it's been a good many years since I read this).

Mary