From:
"Angie Cope, AGSL" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Jun 2006 14:56:05 -0500
Subject:        RE: MAPS-L: Map scanners
Date:   Thu, 15 Jun 2006 15:33:36 -0400
From:   Joe Aufmuth <[log in to unmask]>
To:     Maps, Air Photo & Geospatial Systems Forum <[log in to unmask]>

Hi Chris,

One main consideration is the scanners native or optical scan resolution.  The other consideration is color depth (8bit, 24,bit, etc..).  Although some scanners can go to extreme resolutions or pixels per inch, they are usually interpolated.  If possible choose a scanner which has an optical array capable of achieving the resolution you need or may need in the future.  One popular company is Contex http://www.contex.com/scanners/overview/default.htm, Colortrac is another http://www.colortrac.com/. Then there is HP, ANAtech, Tangent, ACTion and others that have high performance too.  We have an older grayscale Contex scanner donated by UF's Geomatics program.  A question to ask is how/if the scanner's array movement and color parameters can be calibrated.

The USGS has a historic quad sheet scanning project using a minimum of 400 DPI and 24bit color.  Other map projects I have heard of have scanned materials at 400dpi and 8bit color to reduce file size.  Another use to consider is scanning of large format aerials or other mylar type materials where you may want a higher native resolution.  Besides the resolution and color depth, you need to make sure the scanner can accommodate the thickness of the material you are going to scan.  Most tech specs list a maximum thickness.  http://www.cameras-scanners-flaar.org/wide_format_sheet_fed_scanners/wide_format_roll_scanners.html

Then there is the cost compromise :(

Hope some of this helps
Joe

Joe Aufmuth