From:
"Angie Cope, AGSL" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Nov 2005 07:57:39 -0600
MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L

Subject:        Zip + 4 Database
Date:   Tue, 29 Nov 2005
From:   Kollen, Chris <[log in to unmask]>
To:     <[log in to unmask]>

Hi:

One of our students is doing a dissertation and would like to
incorporate the following:

Based upon the addresses and 5-digit zip codes of those within my
database, I want to determine a plus 4 zip code (doing this at the USPS
Web site is not an option since I would need thousands).  After this, I
want to link the plus 4 info to estimated household incomes.

His question was whether or not the library has resources to do this.
As far as I know, we do not.  I looked at both the US Postal Service web
site and there is a database you can obtain from them but you also need
an address-matching software (I'm assuming this is the same as
geocoding?)  At Geolytics site, there are two datasets - Zip+4 and Zip+4
with Demographics which come to $1590.  From the description, it sounds
like you need to purchase both.

So I'm wondering if GeoLytics (or another commercial vendor) is the only
way for him to do this.  If so do we need to purchase both or do we just
need the demographics one?

Thanks for any insight anyone can provide.

Chris

Chris Kollen,  Geography and Sociology Librarian
University of Arizona Library
P.O. Box 210055
Tucson, AZ   85721-0055
(520) 621-4869