From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 26 Mar 1999 15:12:48 -0500
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 15:44:12 -0500
From: ahudson <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: How to obtain Coordinates from a topographical map <fwd>
Sender: ahudson <[log in to unmask]>

Getting a close reading is fairly simple. Between the corner reading and the
next lat/long reading on any topo are five 30" units. These vary in size
slightly moving north and south due to curvature, so for widely varying
locations you cant make a template. In your case, you probably can make a
cardboard or plastic template, use the back of a ruler perhaps--marking ove five
units, perhaps using the lengths of long and lat on the topo nearest the center
of your cemetery group. The template for the e-w and n-s readings will be
different. In other words keep it simple, count in 30" units from the corners,
and you should be more than adequately close in your home-made readings. Buying
fancy tools to help you will be a waste of time and money. Take any topo and try
this, before you are out in the field or on deadline, and play with it. I think
you will find it works.

Alice Hudson
Map Division, NYPL