From:
Date:
Thu, 31 Mar 2005 11:15:41 -0500
Subject: RE:  Voyager's Geospatial Search module]
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 17:00:33 +0100
From: Fleet, Christopher <[log in to unmask]>
To: Maps and Air Photo Systems Forum <[log in to unmask]>

------------------
Dear Arlyn,

The National Library of Scotland looked into this module a few years
ago, as we do use Voyager for map cataloguing, but we decided not to
purchase or use the Geospatial search module. This was partly due to the
*very* limited number of our MARC records for which we have recorded
co-ordinates in the 034 field, but also due to:

1. its lack of graphical (zoomable map) based searching.
2. its inability to use gazetteers of geo-referenced place names,
postcodes, administrative districts, etc. to define an area through
co-ordinates and search on these.
3. its inability to support British National Grid references for searching.

We felt that an easier, short-term approach was to use web-mapping
software (in our case ESRI's ArcIMS) to access collections of series
maps, and our pilot applications on this can be found at:
http://geo.nls.uk/. However, we're interested in the possibilities in
future for using this type of search front-end to access conventional
MARC records.

All good wishes,

Chris Fleet
Deputy Map Curator