From:
Maps-L Moderator <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 12 Jun 2009 13:38:58 -0500
Forwarded from MapHist

-------- Original Message --------
Subject:        [MapHist] Need Help--Suspect Possible New Thief Hitting
Midwestern US Institutions
Date:   Fri, 12 Jun 2009 09:59:58 -0700 (PDT)
From:   Barry L. Ruderman <[log in to unmask]>

I believe there is a new map thief hitting serials, probably in the midwest.

There was a recent report that the KU serials have been victimized and I have been contacted by someone who thinks that maps are involved in that theft, although I have no idea if KU is tied to the seller I suspect (ebay).

Since I have no idea who the victims are and merely have suspicions based upon familiar patterns, I have no idea who to approach to investigate.  I do have an identity lead which could be pursued.

There is nothing more I can do than to pass this information along, as I don't have the resources to investigate and I don't know who the victims are.

I would welcome contact from someone prepared to investigate.  My guess is that the seller has operated for several years and that 1000s of maps are involved.

Barry Ruderman
Barry Lawrence Ruderman Antique Maps Inc.
1298 Prospect Street, Suite 2C
La Jolla, CA  92037  (USA)
www.RareMaps.com
(858) 551-8500

Member:  Antiquarian Booksellers Association of America
         International League of Antiquarian Booksellers

Gallery Hours:  Monday to Friday 9am to 4pm
Weekends & Evenings By Appointment