From:
Date:
Fri, 4 Nov 2011 08:50:59 -0500
Subject: RE: "Natural borders"
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2011 13:45:01 +0000
From: Michelle Simms <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>

What an interesting question from the patron!

Joseph's method sounds like a good approach to me, but I would add that
the patron may need to explicate how she is defining "natural" boundary,
especially where a political border bisects a natural feature (is the
border following a natural demarcation within the natural feature or
not?) which may benefit from a review of Mandelbrot's paper
(http://www.sciencemag.org/content/156/3775/636 ) on the statistical
self-similarity and fractal dimension of coastlines to help inform how
she is defining "natural" boundary. A short discussion on the use of GIS
to measure compactness using fractals found at
(http://www.spatial.maine.edu/~onsrud/ucgis/testproc/knight/knight.html)
may be beneficial as well.

Michelle Simms, PhD
Program Assistant
Map and GIS Collections and Services
University Libraries
Texas A&M University

5000 TAMU | College Station, TX 77843-5000

Office 979.845.1024