From:
"Angie Cope, AGSL" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Sep 2005 14:39:09 -0500
MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L

Subject: Re: [MAPS-L] MAPS-L: General Material Descriptor (GMD)
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005
From: Susan Moore <[log in to unmask]>
To: Maps, Air Photo & Geospatial Systems Forum <[log in to unmask]>

See below for Susan's comments:

Angie Cope, AGSL wrote:
> MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L
>
> Subject: Re: MAPS-L: General Material Descriptor (GMD)
> Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005
> From: Paige Andrew <[log in to unmask]>
> To: Maps, Air Photo & Geospatial Systems Forum <[log in to unmask]>
>

> Miriam,

[some cutting here}
> Well, the bottom line is anyone can
> add/use the GMD to or in their local records if they so choose. The
> sticking point is this: LC chose NOT to use the GMD many years ago, and
> since that is LC practice then OCLC has made it a "rule" that when creating
> original records to go on WorldCat we are not allowed to use the GMD for
> maps "cartographic material" (however, if its appropriate to use
> "electronic resource" for an item that is cataloged as a cartographic item
> and is in an electronic format, this is acceptable). So, I agree with your
> cataloging department's query about "why not?" use the GMD on a personal
> level. But, I do follow OCLC's request on a professional level.

I, too, follow OCLC's request to not add the GMD to cartographic items.
I also don't add it to our local records since we've got another way to
display in our WebPAC that an item is a cartographic resource and it
doesn't depend on the GMD. So adding it to our local records would be
somewhat redundant.

I'm in agreement with Paige that the GMD "cartographic material" applies
equally to atlases and maps. The old GMD "map" wasn't really general but
specific. Broadening the term and using it more broadly does bring "our"
GMD in alignment with others. Now, you could argue that is not such a
good thing but atlases are to my mind as cartographic as maps.

> Finally, as you begin full-scale cataloging of your maps keep me in mind as
> a resource, and I'm sure other maps catalogers/librarians out there like
> Susan Moore, David Bertuca, Mary Larsgaard, and others feel the same. Of
> course, keep using MAPS-L as a great resource too!

And I certainly agree with this.

Susan Moore
Rod Library
University of Northern Iowa