From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ken Grabach <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Jul 1999 16:36:42 -0400
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 11:47:11 +0000 (/etc/localtime)
From: Ken Grabach <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: USGS-Forest Service Single Edition Maps <fwd>
Sender: Ken Grabach <[log in to unmask]>

The message about the Forest Service topographic quadrangles provides some
useful information, but for a cataloguer it raises a question involving
the management of the records in a local catalogue.

These are described as being "single editions" whatever that means.  Each
is in a series with no single-ness about it!  They involve the same base
maps as the regular USGS 7.5-min quadrangles, which are in state series.
Is each forest to be considered the coverage of a separate series?

We file them with the other quadrangles for the state.  If I use the
records for each forest, it will not be possible to indicate that they are
filed with other quadrangles for the state, rather than in a separate file
for national forests.  I have such a file, and it needs work, but not THIS
work!

This happens to come at the moment I am deleting the records we once
received for each quadrangle as a separate title.  I am using the state
series records with attached item records for each quadrangle name and
edition.  I have been wondering what I should do with the records for each
forest series.  If any of the cataloguers has an idea, I would probably
find it useful.

Ken Grabach         <[log in to unmask]>
Documents Dept.
Miami University Libraries
Oxford, Ohio  45056  USA
--- End Forwarded Message ---