From:
Maps-L Moderator <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 28 Jul 2008 07:03:49 -0500
Subject:        Re: [MapHist] Skeleton Maps
Date:   Sat, 26 Jul 2008 23:20:07 +0200
From:   Vladimiro Valerio <[log in to unmask]>

Dear Angie and others,

Sorry for the delay in replying to the querry on "Skeleton map", I was
entangled and fighting with some drawings from Piero della Francesca's
Abaco of which I am editing the modern and critical edition.

May be somebody else gave the same interpretaion of mine. In the case,
sorry for that.

I met the term "scheletro" (skeleton in English) during my studies on
etching and engraving maps in XVIII and XIX centuries. The term was used
in Italy at the beginning of XIX century (but I am sure it comes from
the previous century) to describe the first part of the engraving of a
map. The prepare the skeleton was just to engrave the basic lines of a
territory i.e. water, routes, inhabeted centers, canals, shoreline. It
was a sort of first step in the engraving used just to be sure to have
the basic points exactly located. After this first stage, the map was
subjected to further engraving and etching: mountains, land ownership,
smaller deatils of the landscape. Next step was the etching of mountains
with hill-shading, the engraving of lettering and then at last the
hachure into the buildings and the waterlines. The end of the operation
was the refinement at puntasecca for the smallest details.

I do have in my own collections some "skeleton maps"of the /Carta
Topografica e Idrografica dei Dintorni di Napoli,/ whose engraving
started in the late 1840s and ended around 1850. If Angie, or someone
else, likes to have a detail of that map for comparison I may sent a
file on request.

Map engraving in the late XVIII century is fully and richly described in
the /Mémorial Topographique et Militaire/, who has been object of my
studies since 1985 and used in several publications of mine (see, for
instance, the last festschrift for Guenter Shilder) as it is a sort of
turning point in the History of Cartography, a milestone which marks the
passage from old to modern cartography. Of course it is almost unknown
in the English speaking world.

Ciao.
vladimiro