From:
Maps-L Moderator <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 22 Jan 2009 11:32:07 -0600
Subject:        Re: Map cataloging research experience
Date:   Thu, 22 Jan 2009 12:22:26 -0500
From:   Paige Andrew <[log in to unmask]>
To:     [log in to unmask]

Thank you for sharing your adventure with all of us Tiffany! It
highlights the fact that we map catalogers sometimes must spend large
chunks of time, even hours or days, to produce an accurate
description of a map! It is both the boon and the bane of this
format, it is what makes it interesting, possibly much more
interesting, than say, working with monographs. Of course, the other
end of the pendulum applies as well, sometimes you can easily create
an original bib. record in just a few minutes because you have all
the "pieces of the puzzle" at hand. I still get asked fairly often
"what is the standard for how many records a map cataloger can be
expected to create in a day" and your note reinforces what I always
have to say, that it depends -- on the cataloger's overall experience
with the format, whether the maps being described have all vs. only a
few of the descriptive elements in hand, whether the cataloger is
expected to do things like authority work, classification, subject
analysis, whether they have access to the right tools or not, etc.
and so much more. To those of you on the list who are
supervisors/administrators please understand that there is no de
facto number that the typical person should be expected to hit when
it comes to map cataloging, and this note illustrates it very well.

Sincerely,

Paige Andrew
long-time maps cataloger