From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ken Grabach <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Feb 2002 11:02:06 -0500
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 08:20:57 -0500 (EST)
From: Ken Grabach <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: military overseas <fwd>
Sender: Ken Grabach <[log in to unmask]>

This may be a question worth directing to the Government documents
librarians list, GOVDOC-L (sorry, I don't know where the server is
located).  I can recall from my Army Librarian days that the Dept of
Defense had maps, primarily continental, but there could be a world map,
too, showing at the least the location of overseas posts, such as in
Germany, Italy, or Korea. They show commands and divisions of the Army,
and their equivalents in the other services.

That, along with where U.S. forces are participating in peacekeeping
operations, is what you will find, I think.  I never saw maps showing
where advisory personnel were located, whether on routine assignments nor
on secret missions.  I know from personal experience that personnel
returning from Afghanistan cannot give information to their families about
where they were or where and whether they saw any fighting.  So that
theater of action will not be an avenue you would be able to pursue, other
than to glean information from (say) maps at the New York Times website,
www.nytimes.com or similar sources.

But back to the original point, I think there are maps that will at least
show permanently assigned military and naval forces, and I believe those
maps are available for public distribution.  Government depository
collections are the likely candidates for these.

Ken
Ken Grabach                           <[log in to unmask]>
Maps Librarian                         Phone: 513-529-1726
Miami University Libraries
Oxford, Ohio  45056  USA

On Fri, 8 Feb 2002, Johnnie Sutherland wrote:

> [...]

--- End Forwarded Message ---