From:
Angie Cope <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 27 Mar 2010 21:11:28 -0500
---- Forwarded Message -----
From: "Mike Flannigan" <[log in to unmask]>
To: "Air Photo Maps, GIS Forum - Map Librarianship" <[log in to unmask]>
Cc: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Saturday, March 27, 2010 9:59:21 PM GMT -06:00 US/Canada Central
Subject: Re: Lying maps that just lie there

I didn't know that "ruin" was ever a feature
type in GNIS.  The 2/1995 GNIS database
had "cave", but no "ruin".  Anybody know
when "ruin" was last in the GNIS?

The listed features types in the 2/1995
GNIS are:
airport, arch, area, arroyo, bar, basin, bay, beach, bench, bend,
bridge, building, canal, cape, cave, cemetery, channel, church, civil,
cliff, cove, crater, crossing, dam, falls, flat, forest, gap, geyser,
glacier, gut, harbor, hospital, island, isthmus, lake, lava, levee,
locale, military, mine, oilfield, other, park, pillar, plain, post
office, ppl, range, rapids, reserve, reservoir, ridge, rock, school,
sea, slope, spring, stream, summit, swamp, tower, trail, tunnel, valley,
well, woods.

Mike Flannigan

On Mon, 22 Mar 2010, [log in to unmask] wrote:

 >Hello,
 >
 >Regarding the removal of caves and other features, you might want to
look at my Computers in Libraries article titled "How Homeland Security
Affects Spatial Information." I did discuss the removal of military
bases (although they are shown in pink on the Federal Lands maps and GIS
data sets) and caves from GNIS.
(http://www.infotoday.com/cilmag/apr04/zellmer.shtml). There are some
ruins that are still in the database, when you search for the word ruin
in the place name. However the feature type ruin has been removed.