Date:
Thu, 7 Oct 1993 14:32:25 EDT
Alice I think Mr. Brenner has a point and I think libraries are very likely
to be marginalized.  Basically we can be congratulated for making it look
easy... acquiring, describing and accessing geographical/spatial information.
Easy enough for a programmer to do.  I think GIS types recognize the need for
data standards and the degree of training a GIS type needs to assure that the
standards are maintained, but I don't think they understand cataloging/spatial
metadata standards because they don't have the experience of the range and
scope of authors/publishers/cartographers/data producers.  I urge them to
at least take advantage of the experience of the past two centuries of
spatial information providers.

  ----------------------
  PATRICK MCGLAMERY
  MAP LIBRARIAN U-5M
  HOMER BABBIDGE LIBRARY
  UNIV. OF CONNECTICUT
  STORRS, CT 06268
  (203) 486-4589
  LIBMAP1@UCONNVM

I don't know who Mr. Brenner is, but the last word I would apply to
librarians, or map librarians is marginalized. Secondly to think for a second
that the goal of eliminating paper is a real possibility is to ignore the
mounds of computer paper in landfills across the country. It almost sounds
McCluhanesque (sp?)--which is certainly cutting edge, huh.