Date:
Tue, 14 Nov 2006 12:55:09 -0600
Subject:        maps in the news
Date:   Tue, 14 Nov 2006 12:04:52 -0500
From:   Michael Fry <[log in to unmask]>
To:     Maps and Air Photo Systems Forum <[log in to unmask]>

A few interesting things I've stumbled on recently. Enjoy...

NPR
Two recent NPR stories that mention the US Board on Geographic Names...
[http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5500502]

Kojo Nnamdi Show
Maps and Geography : Three out of five American Kids can't find Iraq on a map. But maps can
communicate far more than simple geography, from environmental trends to global inequality. We look
at new approaches to global geography, and what cartographers are revealing about our neighborhood,
around the corner and across the world.
[http://www.wamu.org/programs/kn/06/11/13.php#12176]

NY Times [reg. req'd]
When Maps Reflected Romance of the Road : Perhaps it is the contrast with today's pervasive digital
maps that makes old-fashioned paper road maps seem rich and wonderful again.
[http://tinyurl.com/yl26jn]

mf
--
Michael Fry