From:
David Cobb <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 May 1993 14:46:54 EDT

I read with GREAT interest Duncan Aldrich's comments regarding the National
Geo-Data Policy Forum and his impressions as to library's adjustments to
elctronic data. I share his concerns but I also am more positive as I am
aware of the acceptance of this data among many libraries in a very short
time period.

Personally, the Harvard Map Collection had one local on-line terminal in its
Reading Room only a year ago. We now have one computer devoted entirely to
electronic mapping, a small one for word processing, e-mail, etc. and an
additional one on order that will be used for electronic mapping.

Spatial data is going to have a profound effect on the way that libraries
store, access, and distribute data and, I believe, will fundamentally change
the way that we are asked for information. We have already witnessed users
asking to use a cple of mapping programs "instead of" the traditional paper
map. One reaction to this could be that libraries will soon become simply
interactive computers which provide data, maps, etc. and that librarians will
become extinct. I prefer to see the view that we will become even more importan
t because the use of certain datasets, databases, software, printing techniques
, etc. - like a certain reference book, document, etcwill become even more
important in the electronic environment. My training as a geographer is useful
when users are choosing the colors for their map data forxample. It does not
take very long to explain to a user why lime green and light blue don't mix
well and to choose perhaps a light red and blue to reveal contrast. Similarly,
it is important sometimes to choose information by zip code rather than by
census trac and sometimes to choose counties for mapping data.

What is most important is that GIS technology will allow the user to adapt
their map to their situation. In the past, we were all dependent upon letting
the Census Bureau or Rand McNally determine what our map needs were. As more
and more data is geocoded, we will be able to "bring life" to those lists and
lists of statistics and show their relationships on the screen with a spatial
image.

I also believe it is very important that we do NOT think of this technology as
simply futuristic or the virtual library. This technology presents us with
opportunity to look at our collections with vision. We are considering using
imaging technology to scan old maps of New England which will allow us to
better preserve these maps and decrease the handling of the original items.
Yomay indeed receive a 3.5 floppy when you ask for a historical map in the
future rather than the original. It will also allow you to examine that map,
with zoom features, in a way that may not be possible with the human eye.

Furthermore, I believe it is important that the ARL/GIS Project was accepted
by the Library Director's. It is their support that was/is crucial to the
success of this venture because equipment is required. I know that many of us
feel that the libralry administration has no understanding of our services and
roles but this is not one of those cases. As networks devel at individdual
universities and beyond this information can be shared and so can the
expertise. The way that most of us use MAPS-L and GOVDOC-L now will continue
as we have questions and data to share regarding GIS technology.

GIS techonology will not only act as a gateway to the future but also a
gateway to the past. It will allow libraries to store greater amounts of
information, access it, and distribute it to a wider audience more quickly
and more efficiently. This will not happen overnight, nor will it be cheap,
nor will it be easy to train everyone quickly, BUT it will happen. I do not
see this as any panacea for solving our problems but I do believe it is a
technology that has many positive potentials.

Duncan, I do not mean to suggest you are negative about this because I know
you are not so please let me apologize if it sounded that way. Duncan's
message gives us much to think about and I hope that we all will and continue
to share these concerns and work toward a positive means to approach these
issues.

David A. Cobb
Harvard Map Collection