From:
Angie Cope <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Mar 2010 15:45:38 -0500
Subject:        Lying maps that just lie there
Date:   Mon, 22 Mar 2010 15:41:36 -0500 (CDT)
From:   Linda R Zellmer <[log in to unmask]>
To:     Map&AirPhotoDiscussionList <[log in to unmask]>

Hello,

Regarding the removal of caves and other features, you might want to look at my Computers in Libraries article titled "How Homeland Security Affects Spatial Information." I did discuss the removal of military bases (although they are shown in pink on the Federal Lands maps and GIS data sets) and caves from GNIS. (http://www.infotoday.com/cilmag/apr04/zellmer.shtml). There are some ruins that are still in the database, when you search for the word ruin in the place name. However the feature type ruin has been removed.

Linda Zellmer

--
Linda Zellmer
Government Information & Data Services Librarian