Date:
Thu, 12 Apr 2007 13:50:01 -0500
Subject:        RE: : Academic Library volunteer policy
Date:   Thu, 12 Apr 2007 14:45:56 -0400
From:   Carol McAuliffe <[log in to unmask]>
To:     Maps, Air Photo & Geospatial Systems Forum <[log in to unmask]>

Hi Tom,

This is an excellent question that I have been thinking a lot about
since we have two new volunteers that started with us within the last
few months.  Both are students here that are thinking about pursing a
degree in library sciences.

One thing that I strive to do is to really make the experience
worthwhile for them.  They are there to get experience doing a variety
of different things and we try to accommodate that.  Of course, some
days the tasks aren't terrible exciting but they need to get experience
with that sort of thing as well.  To aid in bookkeeping, I have them
keep a log of their hours along with what they did that day so that they
will remember what they have do here with us.  As far as access goes, I
don't ever anticipate unsupervised access to our antique maps or rare
materials though I can see using them to aid a staff member once they
can be trusted to handle the materials with care.

We don't have a volunteer worker policy in place exactly but we are
currently developing it as we go along.

Looking forward to hearing about other people's experiences!

Carol McAuliffe, Map Librarian
Map & Imagery Library, Spatial Information Services Unit
Documents Department,
George A. Smathers Libraries,
University of Florida
(352) 273-2828