From:
Date:
Thu, 16 Jun 2011 08:49:13 -0500
Subject: MAPS-L Re: Gazeteers - how important?
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2011 21:43:03 -0700
From: Virginia R Hetrick PhD <[log in to unmask]>
To: Maps, Air Photo, GIS Forum - Map Librarianship <[log in to unmask]>

Hi, folks -

Speaking as somebody who earned her junior year college money working
for Pete Burrill's folks at the Office of Geography on the corner of
15th and M during the summer of 1962 working on the Gazetteers of
France and Cuba, I appreciate everybody who's kept our books in use!

About the second week of September, just before I was headed back to
GWU for my junior year, my bosses came and took away all the maps of
Cuba that I was using to make gazetteer entries.  One month later,
we were all hanging around our dorm wringing our hands and wondering
what Khrushchev and Castro were going to do.

My geographic career all started with gazetteers!

Virginia R. Hetrick, here in sunny California
Email:  [log in to unmask]
"There is always hope."
My fave:  http://www.washington.edu/cambots/camera1_l.gif
There's no place like:  34N 8' 25.40", 117W 58'5.36"
if you can't be at:  48N 6' 59.9" 122W 59' 54.2"