From:
Maps-L Moderator <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 11 Aug 2008 08:53:18 -0500
Subject:        3D relief maps, Henry F Brion and Major R H Mahon (mapmakers)
Date:   Sun, 10 Aug 2008 23:14:16 +0100
From:   Louisa Coles <[log in to unmask]>
To:     [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask]

****Apologies for cross-posting****

Dear all,

I am trying to locate further copies of a 3D relief map of Ladysmith,
South Africa, made circa 1900 by a Henry F Brion of London. It depicts
the town of Ladysmith, the immediate area around it, and the main
events of the Siege of Ladysmith (1899-1900) during the second Boer
War. It is printed on paper, with a plaster support. Size: 750mm x
750mm (framed) Scale: 2 inches to a mile. It is a reproduction of a
wooden map made during the siege by a Major R H Mahon (RA). This was
hit by a shell during the siege, but pieced together afterwards and
recreated by Henry F Brion.

I am aware of the model of Ladysmith and the surrounding area held at
the British Library by the same mapmaker (scale: 2 miles to 1 inch).
However, I am yet to find another copy of the map I describe, or the
original wooden model on which it was based.

I am a student on the MA Programme in the Conservation of Fine Art at
Northumbria University and I have been carrying out conservation work
on a damaged edition of the Brion map, which also forms the basis of
my final dissertation. Any information regarding the location of any
other editions of the Brion map, or the existence of the wooden model
by Mahon would be extremely useful to my work. In addition, although I
have some details about Henry F Brion himself, any further pointers
towards information about him or his wider work would be much
appreciated. Likewise with regard to Major Mahon.

I would also be interested to find out more about how this type of 3D
relief map fits into the history of 3D mapmaking as a whole. I am
working my way through the links from the Map History portal
(http://www.maphistory.info), and I am aware of some key mapmakers
prior to this period, and the use of three dimensional models during
WWII. However, I have not yet discovered any evidence of widespread
commercial practice around 1900.

Your opinions and advice would be very welcome.

With thanks,

Louisa Coles
Student
MA Programme in the Conservation of Fine Art
Northumbria University, UK