From:
"Angie Cope, AGSL" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Jul 2006 12:18:35 -0500
Subject:        RE: MAPS-L: geographical illiteracy
Date:   Fri, 21 Jul 2006 10:20:47 -0600
From:   Geoff Forbes <[log in to unmask]>
To:     Maps, Air Photo & Geospatial Systems Forum <[log in to unmask]>

I agree with the article that Brendan shared--it's no secret that the
American education system needs to do a lot better when it comes to turning
out geographically knowledgeable individuals.  But I'm not sure this is an
entirely American problem.  When I was in Russia a few years ago I had a
conversation with several Muscovites who told me that they knew very little
geography beyond the former Soviet states.  They certainly wouldn't have
been able to place many Latin American countries on a world map...

Best regards,

Geoffrey Forbes
Director of Sales
LAND INFO Worldwide Mapping LLC