From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
mark mccullough <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Feb 1999 16:21:19 -0500
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Fri, 05 Feb 1999 09:18:30 -0600
From: mark mccullough <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Missile Sites in Minnesota/Wisconsin

Colleagues:

I am helping a student who is writing a master's thesis on "Nuclear Air
Defense Missile Sites in Minnesota, 1958-72."

He is intrigued by the lack of identification of these sites on topographic
maps and plat books published during this period.  He questions whether the
sites were ommitted from maps for security reasons, as he has found
detailed articles about the sites in several local newspapers from the time.

He would like to know:

1. How classified were these sites? (Why newspaper articles but not maps)
2. Does anyone know of any maps that show the various sites? (He would like
to include
    some maps with his thesis)
3. Is he missing something? (i.e. Does anyone know the standard practice of
the federal government in terms of printing maps that SHOULD include
government facilities? Are missile sites routinely ommitted?)

He is researching the following Nike Missile Sites:

1. Roberts, WI (St. Croix County)
2. Famington, MN (Dakota County)
3. Bethel/Isanti, MN (Isanti County)
4. St. Bonifacius, MN (Hennepin County)

I haven't done a whole lot of digging into this question yet.  We have some
older plat books for many counties, but, in general, we retain only the
newest editions of topographic maps.

I have limited expertise with map librarianship.  I would appreciate any
ideas or leads that subscribers might care to offer.

Thanks,

Mark

Mark McCullough
Government Documents Librarian