From:
"Angie Cope, AGSL" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Jul 2006 14:25:21 -0500
Subject:        RE: MAPS-L: geographical illiteracy
Date:   Fri, 21 Jul 2006 15:24:25 -0400
From:   Stone, Howard <[log in to unmask]>
To:     Maps, Air Photo & Geospatial Systems Forum <[log in to unmask]>

Don't get me started on G.I.! On at least two occasions (maybe three),
while traveling through the rural western US, when I told someone I was
from Rhode Island, the person asked me what state it was in.

I was guilty of some G.I. myself many years ago. Until my fourth-grade
teacher enlightened me, I thought that the Equator was an imaginary lion
running around the earth.

Howard Stone
Brown University Library